I am looking for grants like a “crazy woman” – searching high and low for any foundation that will support the musical. So I may look “crazy” but I have a strategy:
– go to the Foundation Center with my own laptop and flashdrive
– look up as many foundations as I can (if you bring your own laptop you can stay as long as you want, if you use one of their terminals you have a time limit of 1.5 hours)
– get the guidance of the brilliant librarians that help with search terms
– go home and contact each foundation in the way they request
– follow foundation instructions in their applications, and ask as many of them as possible for money
So I found over 20 foundations in my last trip to the Foundation Center. I am now plowing through them and making a list of what to do with each one. Then I’ll contact all of them one way or another. Then I’ll put out letters or applications based on my findings. Then I’ll start over, and go to the Foundation Center again, and get more help from brilliant librarians and do more searching, and “lather, rinse, repeat.”
How do you do research for grants?